Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cloth Diaper Conundrum

Sometime around the 13th month mark I could think about it without cringing. Then, when my daughter turned 14th months I was ready. By the time she was 15 months old I had a full blown case of the fever - Baby Fever. I wanted another one. I needed another one. STAT. But we weren't financially ready. We needed to buy a house to save on taxes, get into a place with more space, and I needed to accrue days off at work for maternity leave. So, what was I to do with all of this pent up momma energy? Simple - get completely, and totally obsessed with the world of cloth diapering.


BUM GENIUS
Pros: Super duper easy
Cons: A bit bulky, expensive
Problems: Diaper rash
Solutions: Change More Frequently than disposable, Use low residue laundry detergents with no enzymes, wash diaper load on a high water level and then do a second wash with no detergent.



Our cloth diapering days started before the Fever returned. I had been using Bum Genius diapers on my daughter since she was about 2 months old. They were the perfect started diaper for someone new to the CD world, and to parenthood in general. Plus, they were great for breaking Daddy in to the idea of cloth. I started out with just one, and after finding I liked them I bought 3 more. Unfortunately I found that if used more than 2 in a row, my little princess would get a bad rash. I continued to use them off and on, but not at all with the frequency I had planned.




BUMMIS BAMBOOZLE

Pros: Anti-bacterial, fungal, yeastal properties; Really soft, cute and comfy
Cons: Expensive, looks like they will be hot in the summer.




It was in February 2010 when the Fever set in and the obsession truly began. It was the Washington D.C. SNOWMAGGEDON's fault really. Days and days trapped inside the house, unable to travel more than a block or two from home. And with a 1 year old, what do you do? You can't watch TV, play board games, clean up the house, knit, read a book, bake cookies together, or even go sledding. So what did we do? We hung out in the lobby of our apartment building, read "Peak a Who?" a thousand billion times, stared out at the snow, and met another mom desperate to get out of her apartment for a few hours.


My new snowmageddon mom friend turned me on to Bamboozles. She said they were super absorbent and that the bamboo had properties that help to repel bacteria, fungus, yeast, and hopefully, diaper rash. Sounded good to me. I found them on line and the friendly interweb informed me that it was a type of fitted diaper. Who knew?

BUMMIS SUPER WHISPER WRAP DIAPER COVER

To go along with my new Bamboozle fitted diaper that I didn't know was a fitted diaper I got a Bummis Super Whisper Wrap Diaper Cover. I can't tell you how excited I was when I get the Bamboozle fitted and the diaper cover in the mail. I couldn't wait to try them on my sweet peanut. The bamboozle needs to be washed 2 or 3 times before they can be worn to remove natural resins (and it takes 10 washes to reach full absorbency). I could barely wait to do the laundry. Finally the day arrived when I could put the all natural, super absorbent, high end fitted diapers onto my little sweetheart. It took a few tries to figure out which way the snaps go, and where to attach the weird little insert piece. Putting the diaper cover on was a breeze. I gathered darling daughter from the changing table, put her down gently on her wobbly, chubby little toddler legs and - she turned into a screaming wreathing, mess, clawing desperately at her diaper area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers